Getting ready for independence
As young people get ready to leave care (currently at 18 years old), we’ll work with them to help form a plan for their future.
We’ll bring together their family, whānau and others important to them who are likely to have a role in supporting them when they leave care.
The plan will include their hopes and aspirations, and also focus on:
- helping them build the skills, knowledge and experiences to prepare them for young adulthood
- where they’re going to live — whether it's continuing to live with their caregiver, moving in with friends or family, a supported living arrangement, or living independently in the community
- what education, training or employment they'll be in
- how they'll manage financially
- identifying key people in their lives who will be able to offer them support and advice.